Comfortable Christianity

I’m going through this study of sins that college students may be okay with. I came across this great article from Frank Powell, and decided to make it into a series that our college class could discuss.

When the church becomes comfortable, Christians starts to die.

Comfort. I believe that there is good comfort in our Christianity (i.e. comfort we receive from God and others). However, being comfortable in our Christian walk can be dangerous. In 2013, there were an estimated 4,000-7,000 churches that closed their doors. 7,000! A study showed that 40% of Americans went to church but it was found that only 20% of Americans are attending. That leaves 80% of Americans. 258,400,000 people in America are finding out something “better” to do than come to church.

Is it because they have become comfortable in their lifestyle? Complacency is a word I would replace here for comfort. We get satisfied with our current situation in life and we are unaware of the danger engulfing us.

Jesus never said it would be easy reaching people with the gospel.
He did say this:

If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

In order for us to be comfortable reaching others, we have to be uncomfortable.

name_zpsgduscn0k

 

1.  The Most Common Factor in Declining Churches

2. Why Nobody Wants to Go to Church

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: